Your Partner in Organ Building
As of January 1 we do not have a P.O. Box anymore! • NEWS
Martin Andreas Laukhuff
In 1823 25-year-old Martin Andreas Laukhuff opens his organ building workshop in Pfedelbach, east of Heilbronn, and thus lays the foundations of the long-standing family business. It is said that his first organ is built in the loft of the church at Bad Cannstatt. Before setting up his own company, Martin Andreas Laukhuff learns his trade with Johann Eberhard Walcker and works with Eberhard Friedrich Walcker.
In 1871 Martin Andreas Laukhuff dies. His oldest son August takes over the business and gives it its name and character as we know it today. Although only 21 years of age, in addition to his own instruments August begins to make metal pipes for other organ builders, laying the foundations for the successful partnership with the organ industry which has lasted to this day. The fledgling supplier rapidly gains the reputation of outstanding quality offered at fair prices. August is supported by his two brothers Andreas and Adolf. In 1878 the company moves to its current location in Weikersheim.
Andreas und Adolf Laukhuff
When August Laukhuff dies in 1886, he is succeeded by his brothers Andreas
and Adolf. They forge business contacts with organ builders throughout
Europe. In 1896 they equip the boiler house with a steam engine and a diesel motor in order to generate electricity. The brand Ventus is launched by them in 1903 and they revolutionise the organ world with their electric blowers.
They are also responsible for introducing the Rohrschalmey to the world of organ building. In the 1920s Laukhuff presents the contact block system for electric consoles.
Otto und Wilhelm Laukhuff
Andreas Laukhuff, a Councillor of Commerce since 1911, dies in 1933. His sons Otto and Wilhelm take over the business and thus continue the family tradition. Their period at the helm is heavily impacted by World War II. In April 1945 the workshops are completely destroyed in an artillery attack. The immediate rebuilding phase is followed by frequent trips abroad in order to re-establish abandoned business relationships. The first organ produced after the war is delivered by Laukhuff to Cuba in 1948. Production of the Ventola blower for small organs starts in 1954. At the end of the 1950s the Ventus high-speed blower (2800 rpm) is developed. In 1960 Laukhuff builds a large console for St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna. The first electronic capture system with toroidal core memory is presented by Laukhuff in 1968, and electronic control units are developed for slider solenoids.
Hans-Erich und Peter Laukhuff
Hans-Erich and Peter Laukhuff, the sons of Otto and Wilhelm Laukhuff, join the company at the beginning of the 1970s and take over the business. They focus on new computer-aided production technology and innovations that provide sustainable benefits for the entire industry. In 1989 the first fibre-optic transmission system developed by Laukhuff is delivered to Japan. In 1993 the company installs Europe’s largest console system in Waldsassen Basilica. In 1995 Laukhuff presents the software Orgel TV for PC-based organ registration. The era of Hans-Erich and Peter Laukhuff also sees the introduction of touch screens for organ operation, computer-controlled capture systems and PLCs in organs. The acquisition of Metallgiesserei Röttingen and the founding of Laukhuff Industries expand the company’s competencies.
Since 2012 Magnus Windelen has been managing director of Aug. Laukhuff GmbH & Co. KG. He continues to manage the company in accordance with the wishes of the founding family. His in-depth knowledge of the industry, the well-founded expertise of an organ builder and many years of experience in the realisation of pioneering organs around the world benefit his work at the company.
© 2014 Aug. Laukhuff GmbH & Co. KG